My plan is go through every material, one-by-one, and break it down into the following sections:
- My personal opinion and introduction to the material
- Very brief history of the material. Some fabrics have been used for thousands of years (!!), others have been created by humans only recently.
- Describe how the material is common used (what types of items are usually made from it)
- Highlights of the material (what its strengths are)
- Breakdown/Score of the material on a list of fundamental properties of each fabric.
Properties of each fabric I would score it on:
- Amount of care required (high maintenance vs low maintenance)
- Softness -- what some refer to as hand, or the feel of the fabric against your skin
Each material would get its own post. Eventually there could be comparison battles, such as nylon vs polyester, wool vs polar fleece (which is actually made from polyester), cotton vs linen, etc. One day I could go into blends, but I would rather lay out the fundamentals of each material first as the ideas behind blends follows from these core principles.
First up: Wool. Coming this week.
Find the full collection here.